Yarn :: 1.5 skeins each of Lion's Brand Vanna's Choice Solids in Aqua, Fern, Sapphire, Silver Grey, Scarlett, Terracotta, White, Radiant Yellow. Scrap Black Red Heart.
Fabric :: 2 yds (used more like 1.5) Riley Blake Geekly chic white mustaches.
Other :: H Hook, yarn needle, sewing machine, white embroidery thread, size 10 cotton crochet thread, large sewing needle.
My method for choosing the stripes was semi-random. I chose each color randomly but did not repeat a color until all eight were used first. I tried not to repeat patterns either but Aqua and Scarlett ended up next to each other several times.
For the border I used 1 row of sc in sapphire to lock in all those ends. And boy were there a lot of them! Followed by a row of hdc in white. Then I did 4 rows of 1sc, ch1 in Fern, Radiant Yellow, Aqua, and Scarlett for a neat moss effect. 1 row of hdc in Silver Grey and Lastly a row of reverse sc in white for an awesome texture and effect.
Since I had the awesome idea of adding the mustaches to the back. I decided the front needed something too. I had previously made a mustache applique for the same friend on a coffee cozy. I decided to omit some bobble towards the end of the project to make room for it just adding straight DC in stead of bobbles. In the 6th row til the end I omitted the 2nd bobble. The 5th row to end - 3rd and 4th bobble. 4th row to end - 3rd, 4th, and 5th bobble. 3rd row to end - 4th and 5th bobble. I used white embroidering thread to make it stand out and to secure it on. At this point the afghan proper was complete.
Trying to find a tutorial online about how to sew a backing on to an afghan wasnt much help because most of them the backing lined up directly with the edge and I wanted to maintain the crochet border for the back side as well.
So I'm going to best explain how I managed to get this to work as best I can. I do want you to note that I am not the worlds best sewer and the sewing machine I used only has one type of stitch and I played with it enough to figure out how to change the size of the stitch. That sums up my experience!
Also, wash and block your blanket if need be. When it comes to afghans I block by putting it in the dryer solo and that's it!
|Blurry cell phone picture of my work in progress.|
I allowed for about 1 inch on each edge to make a seam. Just a basic seam folding the material over once and once again so the edge of the material will be inside the seam.
I did one side at a time pining the edge as straight as I could using the striping of the pattern as a guide. After the first edge was sewn I pinned the material to the blanket and folded the opposite side to make that seam. And so forth. Making sure my material would cover.
For the corner I just folded over and sewed straight across. Really hope that makes sense! Here's a picture!
Then you end up with a seamed square piece of fabric. So then since I used 1/4" seam I realized that I would need some sort of guide line to actually sew the fabric to the blanket so I went back and added a longer stitch around the outer edge of the material.
Tadah! Ready for sewing. See how I have two seams. The inner most is the actual seam holding the edges in. Its also a small stitch too small to count and use. The outer is longer and a bit more manageable.
I used sized 10 crochet thread in white and a large sharp sewing needle and did a blanket stitch all the way around the blanket. It was really quite easy. I used this Youtube Video.
Every 4th stitch that I made with the sewing machine I made a blanket stitch. When I went through the back of the material and through the afghan I came back though the afghan just above the fabric so the preexisting border would also be seen from the fabric side. It was very secure around the edges but the center of the fabric pulled away so I used sewing thread to make little cross stitches randomly through the center of the fabric to secure the center to the afghan. I hope this all makes sense and I would be wiling to make a photo tutorial again some time if there is any interest.
Some cloudy day finished photos!